Ways to Make Extra Money in 2022
I have always been a go-getter and a hard-working individual with an entrepreneurial mindset, looking for ways to make money. This was usually because I thought I could out-earn my spending! I believed my spending was not the problem and I just needed to make more money. The truth is, no matter how much money you make, you can always find something to spend the money on.
Making extra money can benefit your life in the following ways:
- Extra money to pay off debt
- Help you s ave for a purchase such as a car or a holiday
- Give your income a general boost
- Contribute to additional retirement investing
- Allow you to rely less on the income your main job
- Another stream of income
There are many options available to you whether you have a spare hour each day or an extra 40 hours per week.
Related post on making extra money from a part-time job:
- Make an extra $1,600 per month income and get out of debt with this part-time job
Below are 25 different ways to make extra money, enjoy.
Start a small business – 17 ways to make extra money
Starting a small business to make extra money can be a great idea. If it grows and becomes scale-able, you may be able to quit your full-time job and focus on your business.
1. Start a blog – It is possible to make money blogging and there are many examples in the UK and USA. Blogging gives you the opportunity to make enough money to replace your full-time career. I am still in the early stages of blogging but hope to properly monetize my blog by the end of the year.
2. Cut grass – If you want to earn some extra money (during the warmer months) you can cut grass, mow lawns, remove weeds, clean gutters, rake leaves, plant flowers, and trim hedges. Any low-skill gardening jobs will do.
3. Walk dogs or pet sit – Of course, you have to like animals, but this is something that has become popular in recent years. This may involve you going to customers’ homes while they are out (at work or holiday) to feed and or walk their pets. Some people prefer to keep their pets at home while they are on holiday instead of putting them in kennels or pet hotels.
4. Train pets – If you are good with animals and are prepared to teach an old dog a new trick or two, you can do this as a side hustle. Help pet owners to teach their pets how to be good, perform tricks and generally be obedient.
5. Groom pets – This is another small business related to pets. The pet industry in CA is worth around $5 billion now, so we clearly love our pets and are prepared to spend a lot of money on them.
6. Answer online surveys – Below are some examples of survey companies that you can use as a way to make extra money. They are free to join, free to use and YOU get paid to answer the survey questions. Sign up for as many as you can manage so that you receive many surveys and maximize your opportunity to make money.
- Populus Live
- Google Opinion Rewards App
- Opinion Outpost UK
- Paid Surveys
7. Become a driver for Uber – If you enjoy driving, you can make extra money by driving other people around in your spare time. I use Uber all over Europe as part of my business travel and I cannot recommend the service enough.
8. Be a babysitter or nanny – You can command a relatively high hourly rate offering your services for childcare. Earning above $10 per hour should be no issue, but you will need to pass a CRB check.
9. Handyman or Handywoman – If you are competent at DIY, you may be able to help people to maintain or repair things around their homes. This is one of the ways to make extra money for someone who is asked to help people fix things anyway. Take the opportunity to charge for your services and make some money!
10. Clean homes – The perfect job for someone who loves to clean. If you are good at cleaning and can find customers who want you to clean their home, this could be one of the ways to make extra money.
11. Removals – Not the nasty bailiff/collections kind, but instead help people to move home. I have done this in the past as one of the ways to earn extra money for myself. Normally you price for each job so your earnings can vary, but it is possible to earn around $50 per hour if it is your business.
12. Take photos – There is a certain level of skill required for this, which I lack because 50% of all my photos are blurry like they were taken from a speeding car! But for those of you that possess the talent, you can be rewarded handsomely for taking photos of people, places, and other things. You could become an event or wedding photographer. Or even take photos to be sold on to stock photo websites such as iStock, Shutterstock, and the world-famous Getty images.
13. Teach skills – Think of a skill that you are really good at. Do people normally pay for someone to teach them that skill? One example could be your skill of exercising and staying fit. Maybe as one of the ways to make extra money you could become a personal trainer.
14. Tutor on a given subject – If you are good at a particular subject and are a great teacher, why not try tutoring. Maybe you are excellent at maths or fluent in a language, you can help other people to learn this subject and prepare for exams.
15. Clean windows – Many businesses do not do this themselves and instead outsource the work. The pay may not be great but you could try to get customers in a similar location to cut down on travel.
16. Wash cars – I did this when I was about 12-13 with my older cousin as a way to make extra money. Going door to door, washing cars on people’s drives before detailing became popular. Now people pay a lot of money to keep their cars clean especially if they take it for detail. If you love cars like me, this could be a great business for you. I would personally offer a more premium service to avoid competing with the $5 hand car washes.
17. Paint and decorate – If you are handy with a paintbrush, why not set up a painting and decorating business. Start small with the jobs you can manage and grow the business based on recommendations. This is an opportunity to make a good living helping people to improve the look of their homes.
4 Part-time jobs to make extra money
There are so many part-time jobs available to you at any given time. It should not be hard to find additional work that fits your current schedule as one of the ways to make extra money. Some websites that I suggest you have a look at are; Totaljobs, Reed, Indeed, and Monster.
18. Work extra hours during winter – Over the winter period like now, many companies are taking on part-time staff. Supermarkets, logistics companies, and fast food delivery services. E.g Tesco, DPD, and Deliveroo.
19. Bartend at a bar or restaurant – If you have the experience or are a budding mixologist you can find a bartending job at a bar, restaurant, or nightclub. The benefit is that these jobs usually have hours that involve late evenings and weekends. This should make it easier to work around your existing day job.
20. Waiter or waitress – You could wait or clean tables, plus get some additional tips as one of the ways to make extra money.
21. Work in hospitality – There are many jobs in the hospitality industry and working in a hotel could be one of the ways to make extra money. You could work in reception, clean rooms, carry luggage to guests’ rooms, or even valet park cars.
Sell stuff to make money online and offline
As much as I try to live frugally, I always have stuff that I can sell and also give away. If you have things lying around the home that you can sell, new or old, list them for sale. You can even find products online to buy and sell as one of the ways to make extra money.
22. Sell your stuff on eBay – Sell anything you have; old clothes, new clothes, your car, electrical items, etc. I have used eBay.ca to sell so many of my items in the past as one of the ways to make extra money. Sell so much stuff that your friends and family think you are crazy! The great thing about eBay is that it is a truly global marketplace and so your stuff can be bought by almost anyone and anywhere in the world.
23. Car boot sale – Find a local car boot sale. Pitches for cars and vans range from around $5 – $15 for the day. Although, you can sell any (non-counterfeit) item at a car boot sale. It is worth researching it first to find out what sells best; baby clothes, men’s clothes, women’s clothes, etc. In my experience car, boot sales are best for selling clean used clothes and other items for around 10% of their original value.
24. Sell your old books – My wife and I immediately put our textbooks up for sale after our university courses were over. This meant that we were able to recoup as much of the value as possible. You can also sell any other non-fiction or fiction books that you have and no longer read. Both Amazon and eBay are good for selling books as one of the ways to make extra money.
25. Sell your items on Etsy – If you are a creative person, Etsy can be a great place to sell your homemade items. Etsy has become the place to sell handmade items, craft supplies, and other creatively artistic products.
I have given you ideas of 25 ways to make extra money. Hopefully one or two of them appeal to you and you can make some extra money doing them. Put your pride aside for some of the jobs, if it is purely a means to an end. Also, try to maintain a healthy work-life balance and do not burn yourself out. I can do 60 – 80 hour weeks if it is temporary, but not if I have to do that for 20 years.